What to know
Uncover insights and craft strategies that help solve the world’s biggest challenges and drive positive progress in society. As a Senior Strategist, you’ll have the opportunity to work across a diverse range of clients and topics. From leading the research and strategy development for a new climate change campaign, to getting involved in rapid ideation about how to respond to a humanitarian emergency, to helping brands formulate strategies and bring insights to their efforts to be more purpose-led, the work of a strategist at Blue State is diverse, stimulating and impactful.
The Senior Strategist champions audience insights within the agency and helps to shape strategies and campaigns informed by strong audience understanding. You have a flair for research and insights and a creative thinker who is excited to work at a place where data-driven research is applied to inform the development of campaigns and programmes focused on social impact, performance marketing, fundraising and other initiatives intended at driving positive change for the world.
Day in the life
Our briefs are always different and that makes the work interesting and exciting. But you can expect the role to involve a mix of the following:
- Partnering with business development, account, and creatives teams to determine the right research methodology and strategic approach to a given client challenge and working collaboratively with other internal or external teams to make sure together we produce strategies, campaigns and creative ideas informed by data and research.
- Conducting or supporting the team with primary research (interviews, surveys, focus groups, creative testing) as well as secondary (desk research, landscape and trend analysis, using audience intelligence tools, social listening).
- Translating the findings into insights that are both inspiring and actionable - Using the insights to create strategies for our campaigns, including a core strategic proposition, audience definition, clearly articulated objectives and KPIs.
- Identifying trends and opportunities to innovate our research methodologies to meet emerging needs, try new approaches or tools to push our insights practice forward
- Facilitating and participating in brainstorming sessions, client presentations, workshops and overall project delivery.
Blue State is the purpose-driven creative and tech agency for brands and causes looking to inspire people to take action and drive create real change. With clients including the UNHCR, Google, Amnesty International, UNICEF, Medicines Sans Frontiers (MSF) and Oxfam, Blue State cultivates and mobilises communities, raises money and influences policy, builds platforms, and transforms how organisations engage their most important people. Led by some of the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP and has more than 150 employees across five offices.
As part of the London Strategy & Insights team and the global Strategy team, you’ll work closely with a cross-disciplinary group of Blue State employee's on various projects. London is a small and close-knit team, where everyone has an opportunity to shape new approaches, grow and learn from their colleagues, and take advantage of a personal development fund to stretch their skills even further.
What we offer
- Unlimited time off (inclusive of sick, personal and vacation days)
- $1,000 annual in professional development funds (local equivalent)
- Fully subsidised health and dental insurance for employees (subject to tax)
- Generous pension match via salary sacrifice
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- 12-week, fully-paid parental leave for all parents-to-be. Additional 6 weeks for expecting mothers.
- Group Income Protection (GIP)
- Group Life Assurance (GLA)
- Optional holiday travel insurance
- Pre-tax season ticket loans
- Cycle to work (up to £2000)
- Remote work flexibility
We approach in-office working with a hybrid model, with presence in our office required at two days per week. To enter our London office or attend Blue State events, staff is required to submit a self-administered lateral flow test prior to attending.
Some things we're looking for
- 5-7 years of relevant experience
- Have a mix of qualitative and quantitative research background, using both primary and secondary methods, happy to roll your sleeves and spend time conducting interviews, focus groups or using audience intelligence tools, as well as championing the findings and building strategic recommendations around them.
- A curious and proactive mind. You like to use substantiated data to both identify and solve problems, with an eye for spotting new opportunities for how research and strategy can make projects stronger. You enjoy designing the right research methodology, be it via audience surveys, focus groups, social listening or desk research, while also switching seamlessly to writing an insightful creative brief or facilitating ideations and workshops with clients or colleagues.
- You have strong communication skills - able to explain your work clearly both in person, in writing and through presentations.
- Adaptable and always looking for diverse challenges to apply your insights and strategic skills.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths and interests, we want to hear from you.