Build websites and products for good. We’re looking for a Web Developer with WordPress experience to join the Technology team at Blue State, a full-service agency at the forefront of digital campaigning. In this role, you will build websites and also support our clients and partners with their technical solutions in a myriad of ways. This role is perfect for a talented web developer who aspires to be a general tech lead.
- Build websites for our clients, writing quality code based on requirements and design comps, with attention to maintainability, scalability, performance, and accessibility.
- Be our in-house point person for projects that are staffed primarily by vendors or client development teams. Conduct code review and document technical decisions as needed.
- Contribute to our in-house tools, such as build scripts, CMS starter kits, and component libraries.
- Work with members of our product, design, analytics, content, marketing, and account teams to align on requirements and establish best practices.
- Find creative but practical solutions to novel problems, whether related to technology, features, or process.
- Communicate with project managers and stakeholders throughout the course of a project.
Blue State employs a mix of veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world — at the top of their game and really nice people to boot. We want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve our craft.
The Technology Team consists of developers, product managers, and QA engineers who collaborate very closely remotely and in-person (when safe). Some topics recently discussed in our team Slack rooms and Zoom meetings include:
- Thinking in terms of components rather than templates
- The impact of text casing on accessibility
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top Things We’re Looking For
- Strong knowledge of HTML, CSS, and modern web standards.
- 2+ years of WordPress development experience. Being able to build a WordPress theme is a requirement, while experience using Advanced Custom Fields and Timber and building custom plugins and Gutenberg components are all plusses.
- Familiarity with any CRM or marketing platforms, such as Salesforce, Hubspot, or EveryAction, or readiness to learn.
- Familiarity with modern deployment and build tools and practices (i.e. devops).
- Expertise in cross-browser compatibility issues, including those that affect mobile browsers specifically.
- Appreciation of the nuances of front-end performance.
- Dedication to accessibility, and applying high accessibility standards to HTML markup.
- Understanding of CDNs and other web server technologies, or a willingness to learn.
- An eye for typography, whitespace, and other details that occur at the intersection of design and code. The Ability to to interpret visual design comps and implement a designer’s vision, navigating challenges and trade-offs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interpret requests from non-technical people.
- Enthusiasm and passion for progressive advocacy and community-building.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $74,000; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first, and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland, and Chicago.