Vice President, Strategy, Mobilization
“Help progressive organizations mobilize people to produce meaningful change"
We’re looking for an experienced leader with a record of success in developing campaign plans that promote supporter engagement, boost donations, and drive activism. In this job, we’ll ask you to generate and synthesize audience insights, develop tactical recommendations for fundraising and grassroots mobilization programs, set campaign milestones, develop testing plans and priorities, consult on data and technology, create budget and staffing recommendations, and more.
In this role, you might find yourself identifying the lawmakers who represent key swing votes on progressive legislation, developing plans to apply pressure, and creating the messaging that moves activists to add their voice to their debate. You might analyze a budget and develop recommendations to help a campaign organization map out future growth. You might help develop the persuasion campaign to help change public attitudes and win at the ballot box. Throughout, you’ll help to steer a team of multi-disciplinary colleagues including creative directors, communications strategists, analysts, tech leads, and account directors.
- Lead strategy and campaign planning on assigned accounts
- Produce insights and tactical recommendations that shape clients’ programs
- Establish strategic direction for advocacy and electoral campaigns and projects by defining objectives, audiences, budgets, and milestones. We’re looking for a person able to create order from chaos, alignment where there are many different expectations, and buy-in even with the most senior leadership on the client side.
- Translate audience research, survey data, and performance insights into audience and budget prioritizations, supporter journeys, and strategic plans. Demonstrate primary research skills to conduct qualitative user interviews or design custom supporter surveys desirable.
- Lead client and internal brainstorms, planning meetings and presentations, and campaign development workshops.
- Use tools and frameworks like SWOTs, gap analyses, messaging matrices, audience persona mapping, landscape research, creative briefs, power mapping, and theories of change to guide our strategies, clients, and teams—creating clear and compelling end-to-end deliverables
- Grow and manage client portfolio through regular account planning activities and create client roadmaps over months and years where appropriate.
- Maintain deep knowledge of social/political/policy issues that impact relevant clients—and contextualize that subject matter expertise for account teams.
- Strengthen and evolve our mobilization and organizing capabilities
- Mentor and upskill team members
Good strategy is about taking the best possible journey to your ultimate destination and our Strategy Team is focused on plotting that course for our clients. Our team spans across many offices, but works closely with local cross-disciplinary teams to tackle big problems for a variety of clients.
For us, this isn’t just work. Everything we do is connected to something we care about and we’re seeking an individual willing to work tirelessly to create positive change in the world.
The top things we're looking for
- You have at least 10 years of experience dealing with technology, politics, policy, and organizing.
- You’re a thinker and a doer; this role asks you to both provide oversight and be willing to roll up your sleeves and dig into the work.
- You have command of a room and superb presentation skills. You have the ability to build trust and confidence in early interactions and understand the art of how to sell great ideas and great work.
- You genuinely love bringing others along in the process of the work. You’ve never once said, “That’s not my job”—particularly when it’s clear that those around you may be still learning and in need of support
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity. You’re resilient and able to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you.
- You’re a people leader, experienced and dedicated to growing and mentoring teams, while being open to feedback and what you can learn from others.
- Extensive experience in developing messaging, persuasion campaigns, social influence
- You have a shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- You are steeped in the art of empathy, practice mutual respect, and will act as a role model at Blue State. A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is vital.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. Across clients including UNHCR, Amnesty International, Google, Tesco, Nesta, and Tate. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.