What to know
As Product Manager at Blue State, you’ll work with leading nonprofits and progressive players to reimagine how they engage audiences through their digital product suite, which can include websites, apps, and third-party marketing technology platforms. Working closely with our Development, Design, and Analytics teams, you’ll identify requirements, create sprint plans, write acceptance criteria, and test and iterate on deliverables for Blue State’s unique portfolio of clients.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in the US and London.
In a typical week, you may:
- Write and maintain product requirements for our clients’ technology platforms and our in-house data products, ensuring that all functionality, user flows, and edge cases are understood by stakeholders.
- Support the greater Business Development team with the scoping of new client product engagements. Estimate effort, ensure that team members are aligned on what’s being proposed, and guard against proposals that aren’t feasible.
- Cultivate an understanding of users’ needs and behaviors through interviews, analytics, and other forms of research. Represent users’ perspective in planning sessions.
- Conduct product research.
- Conduct prioritization workshops with stakeholders.
- Develop testing and measurement plans in coordination with strategists and analysts.
- Manage agile website and product builds, overseeing sprint plans, standups, backlogs, and release schedules.
- Manage UAT and stakeholder feedback, ensuring that issues are reported and prioritized correctly and conducting tests yourself as needed. Use your tech skills to clarify defects for developers and augment bug reports with necessary context.
- Evaluate all proposed features against the product scope. Provide creative recommendations based on your technical expertise when features don’t fit in the budget. Make the tough calls when a sprint plan is over budget.
- Be the client-facing expert on product functionality, answering questions and solving problems.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of general documentation and toolkits within the product management practice.
- Love your projects and fulfill tasks outside of your role to ensure their success. Sweat the details.
What we offer
- Unlimited time-off (inclusive of sick, personal, and vacation days)
- $1,000 annually in professional development funds
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible and health savings accounts
- 401K & employer match
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- 12-week fully-paid parental leave for all parents-to-be
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Remote work flexibility
We approach in-office working with a hybrid model. On-site presence is strongly encouraged on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for US staff who are within commuting distance of the BK or DC office. Managers retain discretion to require in-person attendance for folks on their discipline or client teams as necessary, including for those whose roles require them to be in person. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The salary range for this position is $84,500-$108,000; compensation will be commensurate with experience.
The Tech Team consists of 15-20 developers, tech leads, martech specialists, product managers, and QA engineers. We’re veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world who want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve the work we do. We collaborate very closely remotely and, when safe, from our offices in New York, DC, and London.
Some things we're looking for
- Experience leading website or product builds from conception to launch at an agency or software company.
- Experience writing product requirements and maintaining product roadmaps and/or testing calendars.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies such as Scrum.
- Understanding of web development fundamentals, such as the domains of front-end and back-end development and the importance of maintainability, performance, accessibility, and SEO. Computer science training or web development experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with CMSs, CRMs, and other other software in the marketing technology space, or a willingness to learn.
- Strong user experience instincts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact with members of technology and design teams, business stakeholders, and project leadership.
- Enthusiasm and passion for progressive advocacy and community-building.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is committed to creating an inclusive and accessible application and interview process. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a disability, please contact us at [email protected] with the subject line: Accommodation Request to get started.