Define the agency practice, build the team and guide and implement experience strategy and design for a diverse set of clients, from small nonprofits and political campaigns to fortune 500 companies. We’re looking for an innovative thinker and an inspiring leader who is excited to use their skills to create change in society and the marketplace. As director of User Experience you will grow agency business and evolve our service offerings while building a team of UX designers and content strategists to deliver innovative work and strategic design to a diverse set of clients. You will define the discipline approach, help build a team and act as the go to UX expert for projects across the office. Candidates should have experience leading successful UX engagements for complex digital products and platforms, as well as managing other practitioners in a fast-paced environment.
You should be fluent in all aspects of user experience practice, from research and strategy to designing and documenting experiences, to establishing KPIs and ensuring the strategic vision is carried out in technical implementation. Writing and presentation skills are essential, as is a track record of developing sites and products from the ground up and communicating plans with diverse stakeholders with thoughtful, polished documents.
Along with team leadership responsibilities you'll be leading the strategic planning and design of cross channel experiences. Typical projects might include identifying audience motivations and action drivers, proposing when and how website and landing page experiences fit into an engagement lifecycle, planning and executing enterprise level website or product design processes, or jumping in to rapidly sketch and prose incremental design optimizations.
You will conduct stakeholder interviews and prioritize business goals, shape and execute user research, structure and architect content, design user interfaces, conduct tests and act on iterative user feedback cycles. Along the way you will be framing your insights and presenting your ideas and work to clients.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews to understand key business requirements and help clients prioritize their goals
- Host collaborative workshops including kickoff meetings and co-design activities to iterate with clients and quickly arrive at design solutions
- Lead discovery activities, including competitive analysis, content and site audits, and review of qualitative user feedback
- Structure and execute user-centered research, including user interviews, usability testing, intercept surveys, and card sorting
- Synthesize and present research findings through user personas, user journeys, experience maps, and feature requirements documentation
- Create innovative and intuitive design frameworks articulated through wireframes, sitemaps, and clickable prototypes
- Work closely with visual designers, strategists and developers throughout the design process, from concept to launch
You’ll be part of a team of UX designers where each member is a huge contributor to the projects they lead, as well as the team’s culture and evolving design practice. We value a strong aesthetic point of view, a desire to experiment with new trends and technologies, a willingness to push the boundaries of UX, and a good sense of humor. We offer a culture that will support and encourage your ambitions to build on your UX expertise, stretch your skills in other disciplines, and take creative chances.
We approach in-office working with a hybrid model, with presence in one of our office locations strongly preferred at least two days per week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we're looking for
You are a strategic thinker and doer capable of guiding prominent organizations and causes toward a more effective use of digital technology, platforms and communications. You understand how strategy guides design and how to marry audience needs with business objectives. You're eager to design digital programs that look good, are delightful, and inspire action.
- 6+ years of experience as a senior/lead UX designer, ideally in an agency environment.
- Mentorship/managerial experience.
- Excellent ability to communicate, present, and persuade across all levels both internally and with clients.
- Fluency in modern UX standards, design tools and research methodologies; and a passion for emerging practices.
- A strong portfolio exhibiting your UX strategy and design skills.
- Familiarity with content strategy practices including taxonomy system development, content modeling, SEO best practices and storytelling principles.
- Familiarity with service design concepts and processes, including governance, service blueprints and cross channel experience mapping.
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Methodical, problem-solving mindset and attention to detail.
- Self-starting and flexible; ambitious with a sense of humility.
- Comfort with ambiguity and a commitment to constant iteration and improvement.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Experience working in business development e.g. preparing for pitches, playing a large role in client-facing pitch meetings, developing scopes/estimates, developing proposals.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns to create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands, causes, and campaigns raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.