Business Development Manager
Help us land our dream clients — and yours. We are seeking a Business Development Manager to join our Partnerships team to provide support to our business development team to help us grow our business. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer and have demonstrated success supporting sales or account management at an agency, consulting, or communications firm.
You will support the Partnerships team in the pursuit of new business opportunities and help develop and manage a sales pipeline. You will work across the agency and with cross-discipline teams to develop proposals, pitches, presentations, and new scopes of work. You will help draft and project manage these deliverables and contribute to agency thought leadership.
This is a rare opportunity to work with a client base that spans across nonprofit, advocacy, corporate, and political sectors. If you want to be a part of driving real change in the progressive space, then this might be the position for you.
Manage the sales process for proposal development, pitches, and outbound efforts:
- Help the Partnerships team sell Blue State’s offerings and services to brands, nonprofits, advocacy organizations, and progressive political candidates
- Draft memos, proposals, pitch decks, and related collateral in collaboration with creative, strategy, and technical teams, delivering first-rate materials that target an audience of C-Suite executives
- Provide logistical support and process management throughout the sales lifecycle — from the proposal and pitch process through contracting
- Lead qualifying calls and discussions with prospective clients in partnership with VPs on Partnerships
- Effectively communicate and strategize with internal teams to help meet prospective clients’ goals and their organizational objectives
Provide marketing Support:
- Help develop and manage events calendar, prepare proposals for conference speakerships and manage development of assets for conferences.
- Help develop and manage editorial calendars, participating in creative brainstorms and helping colleagues develop lead-gen content.
- Develop Blue State collateral, and collaborate with the marketing team to generate awareness of Blue State and our offerings
Help build, manage, and continually develop a sales pipeline to achieve new business targets:
- Work with senior staff to bring in new leads across targeted verticals through traditional and creative approaches to outbound sales
- Conduct research on Blue State leads, prospects, and clients, and clearly communicate findings to senior leadership
- Leverage Salesforce to help manage, track and operationalize the sales pipeline; pull reports and contribute to ongoing business analysis as needed
The Partnerships team drives Blue State’s growth. We are the face of Blue State to prospective clients. We build new and deepen existing client relationships. We help prospects see opportunities more clearly, and we help Blue State understand the challenges our prospects face. We find solutions to complex business challenges. And we work with our colleagues to persuasively articulate creative, strategic, and technical solutions to executives and practitioners alike.
On-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we're looking for
- Minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience, ideally in business development or account management within an agency, consulting, or communications firm, or directly comparable experience working within a corporation or institution. Experience working within the nonprofit, advocacy, or brand sectors, either within a relevant corporation or institution, or as a vendor or service provider a plus.
- Entrepreneurial, self-motivated mentality and ability to multitask
- Excellent communication, collaboration, problem-solving, and relationship-building skills
- Clear, concise, and engaging business writing skills
- Comfortable working collaboratively in a team-driven environment alongside colleagues with complementary skills and experience
- Comfortable with a high volume of client interaction, both in-person (when we’re safely able to do so) and through phone, email, and Zoom
- Experience with Google Workspace, Salesforce, and other CRMs are a plus.
- Impeccable ethical standards and professionalism
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $68,250; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.