Design for a better world. As a Digital Designer on the Blue State Campaigns team, you will craft beautiful and effective experiences across channels for our political clients. Our designers are skilled visual problem solvers, strong collaborators, and partners on every project. They are big picture thinkers who contribute ideas beyond the immediate design deliverable, while constantly seeking inspiration and feedback from others to expand their skills. They are focused, flexible, embrace an iterative process, and understand that the best solutions come from trial and error. Designers are expected to work with teams to help hit ambitious goals for our clients and to meet those challenges with innovative solutions and deliverables.
- Support (and sometimes lead) the visual design of a wide range of projects across multiple channels — primarily for paid media and email fundraising campaigns, but also website redesigns, merchandise development, and branding — for a variety of political clients.
- Work on projects both large and small from start to finish, helping turn progressive ideas into actionable tactics.
- Be a trusted and reliable creative partner for both internal teams and clients, actively participating in brainstorms and contributing creative ideas for unique client challenges.
- Provide visual, strategic, and organizational recommendations, acting as a design resource for clients.
- Collaborate with writers, strategists, creative directors, and developers in the development of creative solutions.
- Present and articulate design thinking and decisions to non-designers and clients
Designers at Blue State are curious, passionate, and eager to collaborate across disciplines. They’re thoroughly immersed in the field of design and are able to work quickly, autonomously, and with polish. They understand how to use design to provoke action, aid in understanding, and clarify information.
You’ll be a part of the Blue State Campaigns creative team. We’re an interdisciplinary U.S. electoral campaigns focused team at Blue State whose mission is to help candidates and committees build campaigns that connect with voters and mobilize supporters. For you, that means working closely with team members to develop compelling and effective creative across a variety of platforms and mediums.
On-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we're looking for
- 3+ years of professional design experience; agency and/or political campaign experience is ideal but not required.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, and animation (i.e., AfterEffects)
- Solid design capabilities, with high attention to detail and craft.
- Flexible skill set and versatile design aesthetic — the ability to inspire and activate audiences across platforms for different purposes and clients.
- Strong conceptual and strategic thinking, as well as an advanced understanding of how your work fits into a larger strategic vision.
- Fundamental understanding of creative best practices for various channels (organic social, paid advertising, video, email, websites, etc.)
- Experience collaborating with team members both in and outside of your discipline; teamwork is essential and required!
- Ability to be resourceful, inspired, and self-driven while juggling multiple projects.
- Ability to receive feedback gracefully, knowing how to respond appropriately to client concerns and how to iterate and improve designs based on feedback
- Interest in paid media and advertising; experience is a plus!
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $68,250; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.