Creative Director, Fundraising and Mobilization
Blue State is looking for a creative leader who is ready to push the creative limits for some of the most important causes and campaigns in the world. In this role, you will oversee a portfolio of work ranging from platform to brand strategy to communications, with a focus on fundraising and mobilization. You’ll be accountable for an effective and inclusive creative process that inspires the best ideas and work from the team. You’ll work closely with account directors, strategists, designers, writers, and analysts to ensure that we’re delivering innovative, beautiful and results-oriented work that exceeds our clients’ expectations.
We’re more interested in the originality, purpose, and proven success of your concepts than we are in your awards list or sizzle reel.
This person will report to the Executive Creative Director in New York.
- Lead and inspire: Working closely with your colleagues and clients, you’ll develop a vision for our clients’ success. You’ll guide the development and implementation of digital campaigns and platforms, from initial presentations through final delivery.
- Foster a culture of excellence: Establish and evolve the creative process to leverage the team’s talents and ensure the quality of work is up to client/our standards. Attend internal critiques, and provide creative solutions to the team. Final signoff on design, copy, and UX work for assigned projects.
- Foster a culture of inclusivity and creativity: You’ll lead structured and inspiring brainstorms, lift up others’ ideas, and foster collaboration with teammates to ensure well-rounded and strategically informed creative. Ensure the team feels appreciated and celebrated for deliverables and successes.
- Push innovation and professional growth: Stay on top of developments in the field, industry, and culture. Help identify, hire, and retain designers, copywriters, and other creatives. Mentor members of the project team.
You will be a part of our global creative director team working closely with cross-disciplinary teams on projects.
Top things we’re looking for
- 4+ years in senior creative role, 8+ years of digital experience (in-house + agency experience preferred).
- Knowledge of grassroots fundraising, website strategy, supporter mobilization, customer engagement, and brand strategy (i.e. proposition, positioning, promise, territories, routes, etc.).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Ability to make stakeholders feel confident in the creative choices we are making and back up our creative choices.
- Effective at operating as creative oversight or creative lead and delivering clear and constructive feedback to project team members.
- Ability to balance innovation and creative investment with practical and feasible solutions.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- A shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to set a positive example at Blue State.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.