Senior MarTech Strategist
In this role, you’ll partner with analysts, strategists, and communications experts in designing groundbreaking fundraising and marketing campaigns that inspire change. You’ll master the systems and processes which form the underpinning of tailored and/or automated supporter experiences across channels. You’ll translate campaign requirements into technical implementations on one or more martech platforms. You may also contribute to one or more accounts as a martech, product, or technology lead.
You'll also work directly with an inspiring mix of clients – from enterprise nonprofits to advocacy organizations to innovative brands – to help design and leverage their suite of tools for user engagement, serving as a trusted advisor to your counterparts within client organizations.
Acting as the glue between disciplines and skill sets, you’ll tackle marketing challenges of varying shapes and sizes and help bring intricate digital experiences and journeys to life.
There will be plenty of room for innovating, learning, and leading along the way.
MarTech spans the following at Blue State:
- Development of supporter experiences, including email/SMS production, supporter journey orchestration (across channels including email, SMS, social, paid, and others), testing, and automation around those experiences
- Implementation of audience strategies, including segmentation within and across channels and platforms
- Requirements gathering and recommendations for tools and technologies and/or ways to leverage existing data and platforms to test, inform, and execute campaigns
- Smart use of data and past user behavior for targeting and personalizing across all channels, and measuring results
- Solutions for data collection, reporting, measurement, and dashboard automation
- Help shape and standardize solutions for implementation of supporter journeys, automation, measurement models, optimization, personalization, etc.
- Contribute to a Blue State perspective on best practices and best-in-class tools.
- Maintain an understanding of the client’s tech stack, including platforms in use, capabilities and limitations, and integrations.
- Establish a relationship with the primary client and any technical stakeholders.
- Translate client goals and scopes into specific plans that can be executed by the MarTech Team.
- Advise and oversee the technical side of cross-channel program execution, ensuring data integrity and proper audience targeting. Work closely with designers, analysts, and paid media planners to build/target audiences, A/B test, and optimize campaigns.
- Code and deploy emails as needed, or run QA.
- Support during rapid response moments, when we need to move fast to launch or monitor a campaign. Act nimbly in high-pressure moments. Responds to incidents within the martech stack.
- Contribute to pitches and proposals for prospective clients in which Blue State’s mastery of martech is a key component.
- Scope martech work, including research and production, and general product and tech work as needed.
- Possibility of people management, working with direct reports to deliver feedback, define goals, and develop clear career paths.
The Martech Team sits at the intersection of our Content & Campaigns, Strategy, Analytics, and Technology teams. Our resumes boast diverse backgrounds in advertising, political campaigns, journalism, nonprofit marketing, product development, engineering, and much more. Our Martech teammates help provide the glue between all of these disciplines, bringing intricate digital experiences and journeys to life. In short, we have a lot of fun while helping our clients change the world.
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we’re looking for
- 5+ years experience in digital marketing and production.
- A passion for cause-based work and promoting progressive values.
- Familiarity with marketing technology platforms like Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Engaging Networks, Hubspot, EveryAction, or similar
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS coding; coding in scripting languages native to these platforms, such as SFMC’s AMPscript, is a big plus.
- Knowledge of marketing automation and the latest innovations in marketing technology.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong communication and collaboration with others across disciplines, including strategists, analysts, and developers. This is a team atmosphere - you're not going solo.
- Good at teaching others what you know.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $84,500; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.