Senior Account Director
Steering projects to achieve greatness. We are currently looking for a senior account director to help lead a large global UN account working in partnership with the strategy and creative team. We’re looking for someone with strong communication skills, exceptional confidence, deep client management and sales expertise, and demonstrated experience managing and inspiring performance from a small team. This role is strategic too - you need to have an exceptional understanding of digital marketing and be a thought leader in an area such as social media, fundraising, content, CRM, or data.
You’ll likely have experience leading (and hopefully winning!) pitches for new clients as well as helping to spot opportunities across existing clients. Experience in speaking at events and lead generation would be an asset too.
At Blue State you may find yourself leading an innovative global social fundraising programme one day or helping guide a client through the complexities of a digital transformation programme the next. You’ll often be speaking with Chief of Sections and CMOs helping them construct cases to take to the board or equip them in change-making conversations.
The right person will be able to bring a mixture of vision, ambition and thought leadership designed to upskill members across teams whilst also being a doer - we’re looking for everyone to be able to roll their sleeves up and collaborate with teams to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Build client relationships and serve as a senior point of contact for key accounts on both a short- and long-term basis. You’ll be proactive in building relationships with key clients
- Manage resources within and outside Blue State to meet the objectives of clients, developing plans to make these objectives possible, setting (and exceeding) expectations
- Lead programmes and projects, including two key large multi-year accounts with international NGOs - you’ll consider how all the pieces fit together across people, process and end goal offering new ways of working and acting as strategic counsel for senior clients and stakeholders
- Lead pitches and new business initiatives which may include lead generation and tender processes
- Oversee the creative and strategic services we offer clients, such as copywriting, data analysis, social media, testing and online outreach. You’ll lead meetings—both client-facing and internal—and produce follow-up documentation and thought leadership.
- Be a driver of broadening our remit by targeting, pursuing, and closing engagements with new clients, which involves presenting our capabilities in the most captivating way possible.
- Developing project proposals including financials, and scopes for a variety of digital projects.
At Blue State, our accounts team is at the heart of everything we do. We relish the challenges that have never been solved. We are close partners with our clients, understanding their needs, worries and hopes and translating that into inspirational charges for our strategy and creative teams.
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two to three days a week. To enter our London office or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must self-administer a rapid test prior to attending.
The top things we’re looking for
- 8+ years’ experience in a professional services field related to digital marketing in client services, sales and marketing
- Experience delivering and selling a variety of digital marketing projects
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience in an agency setting or client management area is preferred
- Experience leading global projects beyond the UK (APAC/EMEA/Americas)
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact with tech folks, business stakeholders, clients, etc
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced (sometimes chaotic) environment, across different projects and clients,while maintaining a sense of perspective
- Experience nurturing client relationships and upselling. Knowing when to challenge clients and spotting opportunities
- Ability to step in on an ad hoc basis on live projects to support team members
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model at Blue State
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, ethnic diversities, LGBTQ+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is the purpose-driven creative and tech agency for brands and causes looking to inspire people to take action and drive create real change. With clients including the AARP, Google, Amnesty International, UNICEF, Doctors Without Borders, and Colgate, Blue State cultivates and mobilizes communities, raises money and influences policy, builds platforms, and transforms how organizations engage their most important people. Led by some of the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP and has more than 150 employees across five offices.