Contract Web Developer
Build websites and products for good. We're looking for a Web Developer to join Blue State, a full-service agency at the forefront of digital campaigning. As a contractor on our Technology Team, you will work with WordPress and other platforms to support our clients and partners in a myriad of ways. This role is perfect for a flexible web developer who is eager to help some of the most exciting progressive organizations and brands in the world.
- Build websites and landing pages for our clients, writing quality code based on requirements and design comps, with attention to maintainability, scalability, performance, and accessibility.
- Troubleshoot issues on existing platforms, looking at front-end code and software configuration.
- Be our in-house point person for projects that are staffed primarily by vendors or client development teams. Conduct code review and document technical decisions as needed.
- Work with members of our product, design, analytics, content, and account teams to align on requirements and process.
- Communicate with project managers and stakeholders throughout the course of a project.
Blue State employs a mix of veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world — at the top of their game and really nice people to boot. We want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve our craft.
The Technology Team consists of developers, product managers, and QA engineers who collaborate very closely remotely and in-person (when safe). Some topics recently discussed in our team Slack rooms and Zoom meetings include:
- Thinking in terms of components rather than templates
- The impact of text casing on accessibility
Top things we're looking for
- Strong knowledge of HTML, CSS, and modern web standards.
- WordPress development experience. Being able to build a WordPress theme is a requirement, while experience using Advanced Custom Fields and Timber and building custom plugins and Gutenberg components are all plusses.
- Familiarity with any CRM or marketing platforms, such as Salesforce, Hubspot, or EveryAction, or readiness to learn.
- Familiarity with modern deployment and build tools and practices (i.e. devops).
- Expertise in cross-browser compatibility issues, including those that affect mobile browsers specifically.
- Appreciation of the nuances of front-end performance.
- Dedication to accessibility, and applying high accessibility standards to HTML markup.
- An eye for typography, whitespace, and other details that occur at the intersection of design and code. The Ability to to interpret visual design comps and implement a designer’s vision, navigating challenges and trade-offs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interpret requests from non-technical people.
- Enthusiasm and passion for progressive advocacy and community-building.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.