Design for a better world. As a senior designer, you will craft beautiful, effective, and innovative experiences across web, mobile, email, and social. Working with a mix of nonprofits, brands, and causes, you will build cohesive, action-oriented campaigns, crafting responsive websites and brands, and engaging audiences with compelling visual storytelling. You’ll work on an interdisciplinary team of strategists, writers, analysts, web developers, creative directors, and clients.
- Lead the visual design of a wide range of projects – including large-scale responsive websites, branding & identity design, online advertising campaigns, email and social campaigns, and new business pitch work.
- Guide our office’s design work. Work with strategists and creative directors in the development of design solutions; present and explain designs to clients; collaborate and iterate based on feedback.
- Inspire excellence and innovation in our craft, and foster professional development within the global design team, through regular team crits and partnerships.
Designers at Blue State are curious, passionate, and eager to collaborate across disciplines. They’re thoroughly immersed in the field of design and are able to work quickly, autonomously, and with polish. They understand how to use design to provoke action, aid in understanding, and clarify information.
Top things we’re looking for
- Flexible skills: We’re looking for a versatile design aesthetic, and brilliant examples of how to reach and active audiences across different styles and platforms online. Prior experience in Sketch and After Effects is preferred.
- Proven track record: 5+ years of professional digital design experience. Ability to be resourceful, inspired, and self-driven while juggling multiple projects.
- Thoughtful approach: Strong conceptual and strategic thinking, as well as an advanced understanding of how your work fits into a whole vision. Humble in victory, tenacious in defeat.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- A shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model at Blue State
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite, After Effects, Figma, etc.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $80,250; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first, and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland, and Chicago.