Associate Director, Paid Media Planning
Develop and execute game-changing advertising strategies that tie engagement to the bottom line. As an Associate Director, Media Planning, you'll develop and implement digital and traditional advertising strategies across clients ranging from leading nonprofits to political and advocacy groups to major brands (and everything in between).
This may be the right role for you if you’re someone who is equally strategic, creative, and analytical. Switching seamlessly from a client presentation, to writing an insightful analysis of campaign performance, and translating a client’s business objectives into a tactical media plan. You’re used to spending most of your day speaking in acronyms — terms like DSP, CPA, IVT, ROAS, and AVOC are major parts of your vocabulary — and you know how to explain them to clients and teammates.
You will use your depth of paid media experience to inform your work but also tap into your digital curiosity and passion for innovation to bring new ideas and thinking to the team.
In this role, you’ll:
- Develop media plans and recommendations for a range of assigned clients by translating their strategic visions into media objectives to accomplish a wide range of client objectives including direct response (lead gen and fundraising), awareness, persuasion, and advocacy.
- Analyze ongoing and historical performance data to identify opportunities for improvement, make strategic recommendations, and generate reporting and insights to drive optimization.
- Have a strong POV on measurement, attribution, and conversion tracking, and apply that knowledge to strategic recommendations and ongoing campaign management.
- Participate in (and frequently lead) client-facing interactions to deliver media strategies and provide clients with the context to understand how your tactical media plans will achieve their business objectives
- Work collaboratively with other internal or external teams, including media planners, strategists, account directors, designers, and analysts, to produce campaigns, creative ideas, audience and target recommendations, and experimental designs.
- Keep us up to date with the latest digital media trends by maintaining relationships with media partners and engaging in media R&D projects
- Serve as a mentor and internal and external thought leader by helping train colleagues to develop media strategy expertise, writing blog posts, and participating on panels.
As part of the Paid Media team, you’ll work closely with a cross-disciplinary group of Blue State employees who are passionate, geeky, and care about their clients and causes. Blue State fosters an environment where everyone has an opportunity to shape new approaches, grow and learn from their colleagues, and take advantage of a personal development fund to stretch their skills even further. You’ll have the opportunity to work with some of the most inspiring charities, ambitious brands, and passionate advocacy and social change campaigns.
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we’re looking for
- 6-8 years experience in cross-channel media planning, including a mix of digital and traditional media
- Demonstrated experience translating client business goals into cohesive media strategies and specific KPIs, and a record of managing large scale, multi-channel media campaigns that delivered on those goals.
- Deep understanding of all aspects of media strategy, planning, campaign management, and analysis reporting, and the tools and platforms used
- Ability to effectively manage multiple clients and projects on time, within budget, and meet performance goals.
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially with regards to budgeting, pacing and spend tracking, managing vendor relationships and paperwork, and reporting.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- A shared passion and curiosity for delivering change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- A testing evangelist - no result is ever a problem as long as we can learn and improve in future.
- Humble in victory, constructive in defeat. We champion and expect empathy, communication, collaboration, and respect.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first, and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland, and Chicago.