Associate Creative Director
Provide creative leadership on innovative, beautiful, and compelling projects for causes, companies, and campaigns (and the people who love them)
In this role, you will shape fundraising and mobilization campaigns, and work closely with account directors, strategists, designers, writers and analysts to create real change in the world.
You will inspire: Working closely with your project team and client, you’ll help develop a vision for our clients’ success. You’ll guide the development and implementation of creative concepts, digital campaigns, branding initiatives, and platforms– from initial presentations through final delivery.
You will be accountable: You’ll assess and ensure the quality of our creative process and product on an ongoing basis, attend internal critiques, and provide creative and actionable solutions to the project team.
You will foster a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and creativity: You’ll stay on top of developments in the field, industry, and culture, and help mentor and retain designers, copywriters, and other creatives.
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Develop and write up concepts for compelling campaigns for our existing and potential clients and present these in a way that’s persuasive and easy to understand.
- Translate strategic insights into smart creative for a varied set of real-world creative execution. You will be leading and writing website content, email & social campaigns, taglines and product naming, brand messaging, as well as video treatments and scripts.
- Facilitate ideation workshops, prioritize and consolidate insights and ideas, and present back to the team and client.
- Provide copy direction, oversight, guidance, encouragement, and potential solutions to both junior- and senior level digital communications experts.
- Be confident in sharing input into art direction/ design oversight, guidance, encouragement and solutions to both junior- and senior-level visual designers.
- Create and guide the narrative structure of the concept work you are involved in both internally and externally and speak knowledgeably about the creative decisions you/we are making.
- Create and help guide narrative structures– and concept work– for pitching new work with our partnerships team.
- As part of your role, you may be required to travel nationally and internationally (when permitted) for research, presentations or shooting on location.
Our creative directors are driven by progress, not by ego. We are a passionate group of people who are both thinkers and doers. We bring a people-first, data-driven mindset to all of our work. Ultimately, we’re about real impact for real people, partnering with brands, nonprofits, and political organizations to drive progress.
For us, this isn’t just work. Everything we do is connected to something we care about and we’re seeking an individual willing to work tirelessly to create positive change in the world.
Top things we’re looking for
- Strong copywriting background across social, email and video
- Experience in developing audience-first creative concepts and bringing these to life in digital campaigns
- Brand and TOV development for both charities and brands
- Experience of creating different forms of content across multiple social channels
- A portfolio of stellar work in campaign concepting, copywriting, scriptwriting and editorial.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills – able to easily talk through editorial, design, or strategy-related approaches, choose creative battles, and offer multiple solutions. Able to guide clients through difficult decision points.
- Excellent presentation skills – able to explain the reasons behind our work, able to quickly create logically outlined and beautiful presentations and docs using Google templates.
- Understanding of persuasion strategies: copywriting, social influence, brand, paid and organic media. Fundraising and mobilization is a plus.
- Some knowledge of design software, specifically Figma and Adobe CS.
- Some knowledge of design fundamentals: Art Direction, Typography, Color, and Photography.
- Broad understanding of User Experience from a multidisciplinary perspective.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to AARP and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters.