Senior Strategist, Blue State Campaigns
We’re looking for an experienced fundraising strategist with a record of success in developing campaign plans that promote supporter engagement, boost donations, and drive activism. In this job, you will be a lead member of the team working with clients on their fundraising and messaging goals, develop tactical recommendations for fundraising programs, set campaign milestones, develop program calendars and testing plans, and generate and synthesize audience insights.
We’re a U.S. electoral campaigns focused team at Blue State. We help candidates and committees build campaigns focused on their most important factor: people.
That means creating seamless, silo-free campaigns that empower supporters as leaders and reach people with one core message across all channels.
Our practice provides general consulting, campaign planning, message development, strategic communications, paid media, fundraising, and grassroots organizing.
- Drive strategy and campaign planning on assigned accounts
- Produce insights and tactical recommendations that shape clients’ programs
- Translate audience research, survey data, and performance insights into audience and budget prioritizations, supporter journeys, and strategic plans.
- Help to lead client and internal brainstorms, planning meetings and presentations, and program development workshops.
- Collaborate with copywriters, designers, and other discipline experts to translate strategies and creative concepts into web, social, and mobile experiences and communications programs
- Stay in the weeds of ongoing campaigns—working with copywriters, media planners, and analysts to optimize and evolve
- Play a role in new business and upsells, joining or leading in the expert role
- Maintain deep knowledge of social/political/policy issues that impact relevant clients—and contextualize that subject matter expertise for account teams.
Top things we're looking for
Even if you don’t think your current skills or past experience don’t fit every part of this description, we want to hear from you if this role aligns with your strengths and interest in political campaign work in an agency setting.
- Experience developing and executing large scale grassroots fundraising programs.
- You have experience in developing messaging and content for engagement, persuasion, and mobilization campaigns.
- Detailed understanding of digital communication channels—from email to Instagram to SMS to media platforms—and how to leverage them for fundraising and engagement opportunities.
- You have impeccable written and oral communication skills. You have the ability to explain the reasons behind a particular strategic or creative approach and guide clients through difficult decision points.
- You know content management and CRM platforms such as NGP/EveryAction, BSD, ActionKit, or Action Network
- You have a shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- You are steeped in the art of empathy, practice mutual respect, and will act as a role model at Blue State. A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is vital.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box above, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.You have 5-7 years of agency and/or digital campaigning experience—with a focus on public policy, electoral campaigns, or issue advocacy.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. Across clients including UNHCR, Amnesty International, Google, Tesco, Nesta, and Tate. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.