As Product Manager at Blue State, you’ll work with leading nonprofits and progressive players to reimagine how they engage audiences through their product suite. Working closely with our development, design, and analytics teams, you’ll identify requirements, create sprint plans, write acceptance criteria, and test and iterate on deliverables for Blue State’s unique portfolio of clients, which include organizations, advocacy groups, campaigns, and global brands.
- Write and maintain website and product specs, ensuring that all functionality, user flows, and edge cases are understood by the project team and client stakeholders.
- Support the greater Business Development team with the scoping of new client product engagements. Estimate effort, ensure that team members are aligned on what’s being proposed, and guard against proposals that aren’t feasible.
- Participate in product discovery by conducting research and overseeing feature ideation and prioritization.
- Develop testing and measurement plans in coordination with strategists and analysts, adopting a data-driven approach to new feature development and iteration.
- Manage agile website and product builds, overseeing sprint plans, standups, backlogs, and release schedules. Use project management tools such as Jira to track progress and communicate status.
- Manage UAT and stakeholder feedback, ensuring that issues are reported and prioritized correctly and conducting tests yourself as needed. Use your tech skills to clarify defects for developers and augment bug reports with necessary context.
- Evaluate all proposed features against the product scope. Provide creative recommendations based on your technical expertise when features don’t fit in the budget. Make the tough calls when a sprint plan is over budget.
- Be the client-facing expert on product functionality, answering questions and solving problems.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of general documentation and toolkits within the product management practice.
- Love your projects and fulfill tasks outside of your role to ensure their success. Sweat the details.
Blue State employs a mix of veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world — at the top of their game and really nice people to boot. We want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve the work we do.
You would be a part of our Technology Team, which includes product managers, developers, and QA engineers.
- Experience leading website or product builds from conception to launch at an agency or software company.
- Experience writing product requirements and maintaining product roadmaps and/or testing calendars.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies such as Scrum.
- Understanding of web development fundamentals, such as the domains of front-end and back-end development and the importance of maintainability, performance, accessibility, and SEO. Computer science training or web development experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with CMSs, CRMs, and other other software in the marketing technology space, or a willingness to learn.
- Strong user experience instincts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact with members of technology and design teams, business stakeholders, and project leadership.
- Enthusiasm and passion for progressive advocacy and community-building.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results across clients including UNICEF USA, Amnesty International, Google, Colgate, AARP, Planned Parenthood and many others. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.