Contract Product Manager
As Contract Product Manager at Blue State, you’ll work with leading nonprofits and progressive players to reimagine how they engage audiences through their product suite. Working closely with our development, design, and analytics teams, you’ll identify requirements, create sprint plans, write acceptance criteria, and test deliverables for Blue State’s unique portfolio of clients, which include organizations, advocacy groups, campaigns, and global brands.
Blue State employs a mix of veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world — at the top of their game and really nice people to boot. We want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve the work we do.
You would be a part of our Technology Team, which includes product managers, developers, and QA engineers.
- Participate in product discovery by conducting research and overseeing feature ideation and prioritization.
- Evaluate all proposed features against the product scope. Provide creative recommendations based on your technical expertise when features don’t fit in the budget. Make the tough calls when a sprint plan is over budget.
- Be the client-facing expert on product functionality, answering questions and solving problems.
- Write and maintain product specs, ensuring that all functionality, user flows, and edge cases are understood by the project team and client stakeholders.
- Manage agile product builds, overseeing sprint plans, standups, and backlogs. Use project management tools such as Jira to track progress and communicate status.
- Manage UAT and stakeholder feedback, ensuring that issues are reported and prioritized correctly and conducting tests yourself as needed. Use your tech skills to clarify defects for developers and augment bug reports with necessary context.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of general documentation and toolkits within the product management practice.
- Love your projects and fulfill tasks outside of your role to ensure their success. Sweat the details.
- Experience leading product builds from conception to launch at an agency or software company.
- Familiarity with a broad range of software tools in the nonprofit marketing technology space, and an ability to learn new ones quickly.
- Experience writing product requirements and maintaining product roadmaps.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies such as Scrum. Computer science training or web development experience is a plus.
- Strong user experience instincts.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact with members of technology and design teams, business stakeholders, and project leadership.
- Enthusiasm and passion for progressive advocacy and community-building.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results across clients including UNICEF USA, Amnesty International, Google, Colgate, AARP, Planned Parenthood and many others. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.