Director of Paid Media
Lead a team of ad experts and contribute to campaigns that drive positive change in the world.
As Director of Paid Media you'll be leading a team of advertising experts, further developing our paid media practice, proposing and pitching new client partnerships, and overseeing the development and implementation of paid digital media strategies and campaigns across clients ranging from nonprofits, advocacy groups, political campaigns to major brands (and everything in between). And, as a key partner to other business and craft leaders at Blue State, you’ll shape the work we do as an agency for our people and our clients.
If you want to mentor and grow a team of passionate individuals while contributing to the development and implementation of groundbreaking campaigns that will inspire and affect change, then this could be the role for you.
We’d like to hear from you if you’re an experienced manager who has working knowledge of most digital media platforms and can translate tactical media jargon into higher strategic business objectives. Apply below and let us know why you think you’re the right person for our team.
- Contribute to a vision for our paid media practice and consider the ways by which we can support our client partners at the intersection of paid, owned, and earned media.
- Mentor a team of experts; help to craft individual goals and professional development plans; provide regular feedback and guidance; address and facilitate training and onboarding needs; and participate in annual performance reviews.
- Chart a path for team growth, including but not limited to: quality of work, staffing and hiring, cross-team integration, team goals and utilization, and identification of technology, systems, and process opportunities.
- Foster a team culture grounded in collaboration and enthusiasm.
- Contribute to a portfolio of clients and projects across verticals; provide strategic leadership and expertise in driving media strategy and maintaining health of existing accounts.
- Help pursue new business; assist with regular development and review of pitches and proposals.
- Continue elevating awareness and understanding of our paid media offerings across the agency; drive cross-client and company-wide innovation and adoption.
- Stay on top of digital industry and market trends; steward and build relationships with media partners that best suit our client goals and objectives.
- Speak publicly on behalf of the company at events, in publication, and in the media.
As the team lead of our global Paid Media practice, you’ll work closely with a cross-disciplinary group of colleagues on a variety of tasks to advance agency practices while leading your paid media colleagues across offices. We’re passionate, geeky, and care about our clients and their campaigns. Our passion and drive to achieve great results for causes we believe in inspires everything we do.
Top things we're looking for
- 8+ years experience
- Expert understanding of paid media technology - paid social, SEM, DSPs, DMPs, ad servers and verification tools (Facebook, Google Ads, DCM, DV360, DoubleVerify, LiveRamp)
- Experience managing paid media programs including acquisition, awareness, and persuasion
- Familiarity with the goals for political campaign media programs; expert understanding of political media programs and experience managing multi-million dollar media budgets desired
- Familiarity managing a media team of planners and buyers
- Familiarity with emerging media platforms such as TikTok, CTV/OTT, podcasts, and more
- Experience with digital research tools such as Global Web Index and Statista
- Strong understanding of audience segmentation strategies
- Strong ability to analyze + interpret data to inform actionable insights to recommend & inform direct response acquisition, awareness, and persuasion campaigns
- Ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels; exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Hands-on experience with developing and reporting on metrics and KPIs for business goals, process improvement projects, and campaign management
- Ability to both think strategically and execute tactically
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- Strong collaborator and relationship builder.
- A passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model at Blue State.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first, and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.