Associate Creative Director (Copy)
Provide creative leadership on innovative, beautiful, and compelling projects for causes, companies, and campaigns (and the people who love them)
In this role, you will shape fundraising and mobilization campaigns, and work closely with account directors, strategists, designers, writers and analysts to create real change in the world.
You will inspire: Working closely with your project team and client, you’ll help develop a vision for our clients’ success. You’ll guide the development and implementation of digital campaigns, branding initiatives, and platforms– from initial presentations through final delivery.
You will be accountable: You’ll assess and ensure the quality of our creative process and product on an ongoing basis, attend internal critiques, and provide creative and actionable solutions to the project team.
You will foster a culture of collaboration, inclusion, and creativity: You’ll stay on top of developments in the field, industry, and culture, and help mentor and retain designers, copywriters, and other creatives.
- Develop and write up concepts for compelling quarterly fundraising campaigns and present these to clients in a way that’s persuasive and easy to understand.
- Translate strategic insights into smart creative for a varied set of real-world creative execution. You will be leading and writing website content, email & social campaigns, taglines and product naming, brand messaging, as well as video treatments and scripts.
- Facilitate ideation workshops, prioritize and consolidate insights and ideas, and present back to the team and client.
- Provide oversight, guidance, and encouragement to junior- and senior level digital communications experts.
- Provide art direction and potential solutions to both junior- and senior-level visual designers.
- Create and guide the narrative structure of key client presentations, and speak knowledgeably about the creative decisions we’re making.
- Create and help guide narrative structures– and concept work– for pitching new work with our partnerships team.
Our creative directors are driven by progress, not by ego. We are a passionate group of people who are both thinkers and doers. We bring a people-first, data-driven mindset to all of our work. Ultimately, we’re about real impact for real people, partnering with brands, nonprofits, and political organizations to drive progress.
For us, this isn’t just work. Everything we do is connected to something we care about and we’re seeking an individual willing to work tirelessly to create positive change in the world
Top things we’re looking for
- A portfolio of stellar work in campaign concepting, copywriting, and editorial
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills – able to easily talk through editorial, design, or strategy-related approaches, choose creative battles, and offer multiple solutions. Able to guide clients through difficult decision points
- Excellent presentation skills – able to explain the reasons behind our work, able to quickly create logically outlined and beautiful presentations and docs using Google templates
- Understanding of persuasion strategies: copywriting, social influence, brand, paid and organic media. Fundraising and mobilization a plus.
- Some knowledge of design software, specifically Figma and Adobe CS.
- Some knowledge of design fundamentals: Art Direction, Typography, Color, and Photography.
- Broad understanding of User Experience from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Patient but firm monitor-side and Slack-side manner with creatives.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organisations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. Across clients including UNHCR, Amnesty International, Google, Tesco, Nesta, and Tate. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.