Strategic Communications Fellow
What to know
Help turn progressive ideas into excellent news stories. The Blue State fellowship is a 6-month intensive training program. You’ll learn the skills, and hands-on client experiences to pursue a career in strategic communications at a creative agency, nonprofit, political campaign, and more. The mentorship opportunities from Blue State staff aims to set fellows up for success during their tenure here and in their career paths -- helping to build a pipeline of smart, capable communications practitioners who will become leaders in our industry.
As a fellow, you’ll work with the strategic communications team and other practices at Blue State to help advance our strategic goals for clients, and even for the Blue State brand. You’ll work closely with team members who are working across a variety of issues, channels and clients, and, if you choose a second discipline, you’ll get twice the opportunity to learn more about your unique skills and what it takes to be a leader in your field.
What to expect
Work with an inspiring mix of clients from advocacy groups to cultural institutions to big brands. As a Strategic Communications Fellow, you will:
- Help build and maintain strategically sound press lists and assist with outreach
- Write and edit media and client facing documents such as advisories, press releases, fact sheets, talking points, and best practice memos
- Help the team develop and advance the communications strategy for multiple high-profile client accounts
- Develop relationships with media contacts and community leaders
What you’re looking for
- Purpose. Do meaningful work that matters.
- Growth. Jumpstart your career at a place that rewards curiosity and creative thinking, and offers the possibility of growing into a full-time role.
- Mentorship. Work with mentors who are invested in your success, providing continuous feedback and helping you grow the way you want.
- Diversity. Join a diverse, inclusive community made up of people from all walks of life and grounded in mutual respect, compassion, and learning.
- Versatility. Exposure and opportunities to learn about different teams or other areas of agency work.
- Teamwork. Become integrated into project teams from the start, working closely with and learning from teammates across disciplines — designers, developers, writers and many more.
The top things we're looking for
- Strong interest in communications/journalism/political campaigns
- Learning to demonstrate good judgment and discretion
- Attention to detail, and a skilled multi-tasker
- Skilled at writing, and cultivating relationships
- Familiarity with social media platforms and social media marketing
- Strong collaborator who is willing to fight for good ideas, but always a team player
- Humble in victory, constructive in defeat
- Self-starter, driven, focused, eager, excited to think on feet
- Works best with a plan, but comfortable working with ambiguity
Not sure if you are qualified for this role? We'd love it if you applied anyway!
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply for this fellowship. Even if you don’t feel like your current skill set checks every box, if you’re committed to learning and doing work that matters we want to hear from you.
Hourly rate for this position is $20.40
To apply, submit a resume and brief personal statement (instead of a cover letter) answering the following question:
- What are you hoping to learn from a fellowship at Blue State, and how does it fit into your career plans?