What to know
As a Product Manager at Blue State, you’ll work with leading nonprofits and progressive organizations to reimagine how they engage audiences through their digital product suite, which can include websites and digital marketing platforms. Working closely with our Tech, Strategy, Design, and Analytics teams, you’ll conduct user research, identify product requirements, help define content strategy, create sprint plans, write acceptance criteria, and test and iterate on deliverables for Blue State’s unique portfolio of clients. Our Product Managers are generalists who create connections between strategists, designers, engineers, analysts, content producers, and client stakeholders.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in the US and London.
The Tech Team consists of product managers, developers, tech leads, and martech specialists. We’re veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world who want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve the work we do. We collaborate very closely remotely and, optionally, from our offices in New York, DC, and London.
A day in the life
- Assess clients’ digital platforms, identify goals, and communicate solutions that help clients achieve their strategic objectives.
- Cultivate an understanding of users’ needs and behaviors through interviews, analytics, and other forms of research. Create personas and user journeys, and represent users’ perspective in planning sessions.
- Conduct product research and lead feature ideation and prioritization sessions.
- Write and maintain functional requirements, ensuring that all functionality, user flows, and edge cases are understood by stakeholders. Documentation could range from lofi sketches to detailed acceptance criteria.
- Develop testing and measurement plans in coordination with strategists and analysts.
- Help create sprint plans and release schedules.
- Manage stakeholder feedback, evaluating all proposed features against the product scope and ensuring that bugs are reported and prioritized correctly. Provide creative recommendations based on your technical expertise when features don’t fit in the budget. Make the tough calls when scope needs to be cut.
- Support the greater Business Development team with the scoping of new client product engagements. Estimate effort, ensure that team members are aligned on what’s being proposed, and guard against proposals that aren’t feasible.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of general documentation and toolkits within the product management practice.
What we offer
- Unlimited time off (inclusive of sick, personal, and vacation days)
- $1,000 annually in professional development funds
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible and health savings accounts
- 401K & employer match
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- 12-week fully-paid parental leave for all parents-to-be
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Remote work flexibility
We approach in-office working with a hybrid model. On-site presence is strongly encouraged on Tuesdays and Wednesdays for US staff who are within commuting distance of the BK or DC office. Managers retain discretion to require in-person attendance for folks on their discipline or client teams as necessary, including for those whose roles require them to be in person. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The salary range for this position is $84,500-$115,000; compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Some things we’re looking for
- 5+ years of experience in product management, particularly with website projects.
- Experience with CMS-driven websites, such as those built on WordPress. You will not architect a WordPress site yourself, but you will vet designs and feature requirements for feasibility and judge an engineering team’s progress.
- Familiarity with and interest in marketing platforms, including CRMs, and data and personalization technology used by organizations to engage and mobilize their supporters.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and JS. You will not need to write any code, but you will need to speak to the capabilities of common web technologies.
- Experienced with using qualitative and quantitative data to make product decisions
- Willingness to wear multiple hats and get into the weeds across product needs including UX design, content strategy, and user research.
- Ability to use wireframes to communicate recommendations to design teams
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to interact with technical and non-technical stakeholders alike.
- Strong collaborator and relationship builder. Colleagues know they can come to you for help working through issues or opportunities.
- Empathy, positivity, respect, and the ability to be a role model at Blue State.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is committed to creating an inclusive and accessible application and interview process. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a disability, please contact us at [email protected] with the subject line: Accommodation Request to get started.