Media Strategist, Buyer
What to know
Execute game-changing advertising strategies that tie engagement to the bottom line.As a Media Strategist, you'll manage the execution of digital advertising campaigns across clients ranging from leading nonprofits to political and advocacy groups to major brands (and everything in between).
This may be the right role for you if you’re someone who is equally strategic, creative, and analytical. Switching seamlessly from a client presentation, to writing an insightful analysis of campaign performance, and rolling up your sleeves to launch new creative are no big deal for you. You’re used to spending most of your day speaking in acronyms — terms like DSP, CPA, IVT, ROAS, and AVOC are major parts of your vocabulary — and you know how to explain them to clients and teammates.
You will use your depth of paid media experience to inform your work but also tap into your digital curiosity and passion for innovation to bring new ideas and thinking to the team.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns to create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands, causes, and campaigns raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.
As part of the Paid Media team, you’ll work closely with a cross-disciplinary group of Blue State employees who are passionate, geeky, and care about their clients and causes. Blue State fosters an environment where everyone has an opportunity to shape new approaches, grow and learn from their colleagues, and take advantage of a personal development fund to stretch their skills even further. You’ll have the opportunity to work with some of the most inspiring charities, ambitious brands, and passionate advocacy and social change campaigns.
A day in the life
- Build, manage, and optimize media campaigns across multiple platforms, primarily using Facebook Business Manager, Google and Bing Ads, Google Campaign Manager 360, and the Verizon Media DSP. (Other digital channel expertise is a plus.)
- Translate clients’ strategic visions into media objectives and KPIs to accomplish a wide range of client objectives including direct response (lead gen and fundraising), awareness, persuasion, and advocacy.
- Analyze ongoing and historical performance data to identify opportunities for improvement, make strategic recommendations, and generate reporting and insights to drive optimization.
- Have a strong POV on measurement, attribution, and conversion tracking, and apply that knowledge to strategic recommendations and ongoing campaign management.
- Participate in (and sometimes lead) client-facing interactions — you’ll be the subject-matter expert for the platforms you manager
- Work collaboratively with other internal or external teams, including media planners, strategists, account directors, designers, and analysts, to produce campaigns, creative ideas, audience and target recommendations, and experimental designs.
- Keep up to date with the latest digital media trends by building and stewarding relationships with media partners, and engaging in media R&D projects.
What we offer
- Unlimited time-off (inclusive of sick, personal, and vacation days)
- $1,000 annually in professional development funds
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible and health savings accounts
- 401K & employer match
- Generous paid holiday schedule
- 12-week fully-paid parental leave for all parents-to-be
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Remote work flexibility
We approach in-office working with a hybrid model, with presence in one of our office locations strongly preferred at least two days per week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
The salary range for this position is $68,250-$83,000; compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Some things we're looking for
- 2-4 years experience in a hands-on paid media buying role using a mix of digital channels (Social, Search, Display, Video, Native, OOH, etc) - with preference to experience in executing, managing, and reporting on media campaigns with a mix of objectives/goals.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple clients and projects on time, within budget, and meet performance goals.
- High proficiency with digital advertising platforms — you ultimately want to become a master of paid social, paid search, and/or programmatic trading — as well as Google Analytics and other measurement platforms
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially with regards to campaign setup and trafficking, QA, and reporting.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- A shared passion and curiosity for delivering change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- A testing evangelist - no result is ever a problem as long as we can learn and improve in future.
- Humble in victory, constructive in defeat. We champion and expect empathy, communication, collaboration, and respect.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is committed to creating an inclusive and accessible application and interview process. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a disability, please contact us at [email protected] with the subject line: Accommodation Request to get started.