Director of MarTech
As Director of MarTech, you’ll manage our team of MarTech strategists, engineers, and production associates and direct how Blue State uses marketing technology to implement our clients’ campaigns. You’ll help translate campaign requirements into technical solutions that can be architected in the client’s marketing platform of choice, which is often Salesforce Marketing Cloud or EveryAction, and occasionally contribute to one or more projects as a general technology lead.
MarTech spans the following at Blue State:
- Development of supporter experiences, including email/SMS production, supporter journey orchestration (across channels including email, SMS, social, paid, and others), testing, and automation around those experiences
- Implementation of audience strategies, including segmentation within and across channels and platforms
- Requirements gathering and recommendations for tools and technologies and/or ways to leverage existing data and platforms to test, inform, and execute campaigns
- Smart use of data and past user behavior for targeting and personalizing across all channels, and measuring results
- Solutions for data collection, reporting, measurement, and dashboard automation
- Lead the MarTech team. Develop a vision for team growth, upskilling, and integration with other Blue State teams. Evolve team structure and roles to meet the changing needs of our accounts.
- Manage MarTech team members. Hold regular one-on-one and team meetings, help set individual goals, provide timely feedback, and make sound staffing decisions, constructively delegating work where appropriate.
- Strengthen Blue State’s MarTech offerings. Shape and standardize solutions for implementation of supporter journeys, automation, measurement models, optimization, and personalization, developing a Blue State perspective on best practices and best-in-class tools. Explore new technologies and methodologies and share knowledge with the company through writing and presentations.
- Lead MarTech projects. Establish a relationship with the primary client and any technical stakeholders and translate client goals and scopes into specific plans that can be executed by the team. Maintain an understanding of the client’s tech stack, including platforms in use, capabilities and limitations, and integrations. Lead standups and tracks progress, including from partners and client team developers.
- Help Blue State win new work. Contribute to pitches and proposals for prospective clients in which Blue State’s mastery of MarTech is a key component. Scope MarTech work, including research and production, and general product and tech work as needed.
The Martech Team sits at the intersection of our Content & Campaigns, Strategy, Analytics, and Technology teams. Our resumes boast diverse backgrounds in advertising, political campaigns, journalism, nonprofit marketing, product development, engineering, and much more. Our MarTech teammates help provide the glue between all of these disciplines, bringing intricate digital experiences and journeys to life. In short, we have a lot of fun while helping our clients change the world.
On-site presence two days a week is strongly preferred. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot if eligible, and must present a negative COVID-19 test. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we're looking for
- 5+ years experience in digital marketing and production, including 2+ years managing direct reports.
- Expertise in Salesforce Marketing Cloud. Familiarity with other marketing technology platforms like Engaging Networks, Hubspot, EveryAction, or similar is a plus, but not required.
- Some familiarity with HTML and CSS coding; coding in scripting languages native to these platforms, such as SFMC’s AMPscript, is a big plus.
- A passion for cause-based work and promoting progressive values.
- Knowledge of marketing automation and the latest innovations in marketing technology.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong communication and collaboration with others across disciplines, including strategists, analysts, and developers. This is a team atmosphere — you're not going solo.
- A talent for teaching others what you know.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to Amnesty International and Oxfam, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has 150+ employees in five offices around the world.