Harness technology and data for good. As a Technical Director at Blue State, you will help lead some of our largest client projects and campaigns, serving as the senior technical voice and trusted advisor to Blue State practitioners and client stakeholders alike. You will develop relationships with CMOs, CTOs, digital strategists, analysts, and product managers, facilitating communication and problem-solving around complex technical subjects. Our Technical Directors are senior generalists who create connections between strategists and engineers, between analysts and marketing technology specialists, and even between client stakeholders when needed.
Outside of client engagements, you will partner with business and craft leaders at Blue State to shape our offerings, upskill staff, evolve our methods, and put data at the heart of our partnerships. You will help land dream clients, coach staff, and position Blue State to deliver the best possible outcome.
You will report to the Chief Technology Strategist.
- Work with clients and potential clients to assess their existing technology platforms and recommend additional solutions that would make their programs more effective and Blue State’s offerings more robust. Demonstrate strong understanding of the client’s tech stack, including platforms in use, capabilities, limitations, and integrations, along with implications of all of those for the account.
- Ensure the success of client projects and relationships by acting as the senior lead managing client satisfaction. Guide/oversee projects through all phases. Deliver best-in-class work and inspire client confidence when presenting solutions. Strong communication skills with colleagues and clients and the ability to answer questions on the fly are essential.
- Produce written deliverables such as high-level technical recommendations or requirements as needed.
- Visualize and/or design an organization’s enterprise data management framework with Blue State’s program needs in mind. Provide sound recommendations for data and reporting, support reporting and BI platform setup and development, address data and security concerns, and make sure that our analysts have what they need to measure and report back on our work.
- Stay current on discipline trends and best practices, and find ways to implement in our work; keep the agency updated. Mentor Tech Leads on other projects, helping to drive and evolve tech best practices and culture at Blue State.
- Drive Blue State’s tech practice forward by providing thought leadership, process improvement, upskilling, and mentoring.
- Work with the Partnerships team to determine what we are offering, and contribute to proposals and participate in pitches. On existing projects, evaluate proposed features against product scope and propose creative solutions where needed, and ensure all team members and stakeholders are aligned with what we’re proposing.
You will be a part of our Technical Director team in NY working with project and client teams across our 7 different offices.
Top things we’re looking for
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering, data architecture, enterprise IT, tech consulting, or related roles.
- Experience with a range of marketing technologies, including a mix of CRM systems, messaging platforms, journey management tools, media platforms, and business intelligence tools. Knowledge of emerging categories like CDPs and personalization tools is a plus, as is experience with technology platforms typically used by non-profit organizations.
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud in particular is a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to interact with all levels of end users and colleagues.
- Strong collaborator and relationship builder. Colleagues know they can come to you for help working through issues or opportunities.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- A shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box above, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first, and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland, and Chicago.