Tell compelling stories for causes that matter. Are you a creative thinker who is excited by the opportunity to collaborate with talented colleagues in partnership with incredible nonprofits, advocacy campaigns, and brands? We’re looking for a multidisciplinary content strategist with a passion for solving a diverse set of client challenges through an audience-centered lens. Be part of a team that creates inspiring digital experiences that drive action across the complete user journey. You will be defining voice and tone, writing copy and collaborating with platform engineers to plan structured content that will be managed and crafted across multi-channel experiences. From messaging strategy to competitor reviews, from journey mapping to copy writing, from information architecture to wireframing, you’ll play a leading role in building best-in-class platforms and programs that meet user needs and drive measurable results for organizations.
You’ll be part of a team of UX designers and strategists where each member is a huge contributor to the projects they lead, as well as the team’s culture and evolving design practice. We value a strong aesthetic point of view, a desire to experiment with new trends and technologies, a willingness to push the boundaries of content strategy and UX design, a good sense of humor AND humility. We offer a culture that will support and encourage your ambitions to build on your expertise, stretch your skills in other disciplines, and take creative chances.
- Develop copy and define copy delivery, process and structure for websites.
- Develop taxonomy strategies and plans that can be leveraged by product and engineering teams in the creation of content models and platform architecture.
- Perform audits of existing platforms that analyze, evaluate and recommend updates to current content experiences.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews to understand key business requirements and help clients prioritize their goals.
- Host collaborative workshops and co-design activities to iterate with clients and quickly arrive at design solutions.
- Lead discovery activities, including competitive analysis, content and site audits, and review of qualitative and quantitative user feedback.
- Structure and execute user-centered research, including interviews, usability testing, intercept surveys, and card sorting exercises.
- Synthesize and present research findings through user personas, user journeys and experience maps.
- Define voice and tone guidelines based on insights from audience research and communications strategy.
- Partner with Analysts to define success and evaluation criteria for analyzing existing content and identify and implement recommendations for updates and revisions to content.
- Produce wireframes, sitemaps, and clickable prototypes.
- Participate in the new business process, including ideation, scoping, and pitching.
Top things we’re looking for
At least 3 years experience in the following:
- Information architecture, including content audits and assessments, sitemap development, taxonomy planning and content framework and/or content model planning.
- Developing voice and tone guidelines for a variety of digital experiences, including websites, digital media and email communications.
- Experience in copywriting for websites.
- Experience with SEO strategy
Nice to haves:
- Experience in UX Design, including the creation of wireframes, interactive prototypes and feature set definition.
- Experience with visual storytelling techniques, including visual design, storyboarding and/or film and video.
- Experience with cross channel content distribution platforms and strategy.
Bachelors or Masters Degree in English, Communications, Professional & Technical Writing, Design, or related field and a portfolio of work illustrating your experience.
Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
A shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model at BSD
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to AARP and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters.