Tell compelling stories for causes that matter. We’re looking for a multidisciplinary content strategist with a passion for solving diverse challenges through an audience-centered lens. From messaging strategy to competitor reviews, from taxonomy planning to UX writing, from content audits to SEO best practices, you’ll play a leading role in building best-in-class messaging across platforms and programs that meet user needs and drive measurable results for organizations. You’ll work primarily with non-profit, advocacy and brand clients on website and related platform projects.
You’ll be part of a team where each member is a huge contributor to the projects they lead, as well as the team’s culture and evolving design practice. We value a strong aesthetic point of view, a desire to experiment with new trends and technologies, a willingness to work with ambiguity and propose new approaches, a good sense of humor and humility. We offer a culture that will support and encourage your ambitions to build on your expertise, stretch your skills in other disciplines, and take creative chances.
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Lead consulting services to provide a vision for our clients’ online content spanning editorial, performance and user experience goals.
- Help evolve Blue State’s content strategy practice, including defining processes and best practices, and estimating the content-related aspects of new business opportunities.
- Perform audits of existing platforms that analyze, evaluate and recommend updates to current content experiences.
- Collaborate with developers, designers and product managers to plan a website’s content model (range of templates, components, taxonomy, content fields, etc.)
- Develop taxonomy strategies and plans that can be leveraged by product and engineering teams in the creation of content models and platform architecture.
- Collaborate with developers to plan content migrations when moving from one CMS to another.
- Create editorial guidelines (which may span voice & tone, channel strategy, alignment with brand pillars, SEO, workflow, etc.).
- Lead guidelines training for client content creators.
- Develop copy samples and/or write production copy and define copy delivery, development process and structure for websites.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews and workshops to surface content requirements and help clients prioritize their goals.
- Host collaborative workshops and co-creation activities to iterate with clients and quickly arrive at solutions.
- Collaborate with strategists and UX designers in user research.
- Collaborate with UX designers and visual designers in defining and prototyping content as required for crafting a holistic experience.
- Collaborate with analysts to measure existing content from a quantitative perspective and identify KPIs and measurement strategies for future states.
- Participate in the new business process, including ideation, scoping, and pitching.
Top things we’re looking for
4-6 years experience in the following:
- Information architecture, including content audits and assessments, sitemap development, taxonomy planning and content framework and/or content model planning.
- Developing voice and tone guidelines for a variety of digital experiences.
- Experience in copywriting for websites and/or UX writing.
- Experience with SEO strategy
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interact with an array of stakeholders including tech colleagues, business development leads, and clients.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you.
- Empathy and respect for others, no matter the challenge.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in UX Design, including the creation of wireframes, interactive prototypes and feature set definition.
- Experience with visual storytelling techniques, including visual design, storyboarding and/or film and video.
- Experience with cross channel content distribution platforms and strategy.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $72,000; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to AARP and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters.