Content and Campaigns Strategist
Mobilize action for the causes that count. In this role, you’ll ideate, write and execute impactful and creative digital mobilization campaigns for a range of 3-5 clients. Campaigns range from advocacy to fundraising to customer engagement work, for a variety of clients including major nonprofit organizations and technology companies. Client projects include developing creative and strategies for reaching and communicating with diverse and underrepresented audiences. To that end, prior experience with or interest in multicultural marketing is critical.
The bulk of our digital practice is concentrated on email, but paid media and SMS are increasing areas of focus.
This role will be remote initially, but when it’s safe to return to the office, will be based in New York. Applicants should plan to work East Coast hours in this role.
- Partner with Account team leads to provide creative and strategic leadership on major nonprofit fundraising, tech and advocacy clients.
- Lead development of cross-channel digital campaigns (everything from concepts to calendars to copy) that mobilize audiences to donate, advocate, engage and more:
- Run cross-team brainstorming sessions.
- Present campaign plans to clients in a succinct, persuasive, compelling manner.
- Bring together designers and writers to develop email, paid and SMS campaigns in service of fundraising and advocacy goals.
- Write compelling and on-brand copy for email, paid media, and related channels.
- Review, edit and shape copy and design for junior writers and designers.
- Work closely with analysts, strategists and paid media planners to develop A/B tests and optimize campaigns.
- Collaborate with designers to bring ideas to life through beautiful graphics and copy.
- Collaborate with email producers and analysts to target key audiences and innovate new tactics for converting donors
- Other responsibilities:
- Demonstrate a deep and well-rounded knowledge of strategic goals and KPIs for fundraising and advocacy.
- Manage rapid response moments.
- Pitch concepts and present plans to client stakeholders.
- Maintain deep knowledge of the social, political and economic issues that impact your clients as well as continual education within your discipline.
- Stay aware of the latest digital campaign trends, and develop a POV on how/whether our clients should take advantage of them to push their programs forward.
This role will sit within our Content and Campaigns team, a team made up of talented digital fundraisers and advocacy experts. Our resumes boast diverse backgrounds in advertising, political campaigns, journalism, nonprofit marketing and much more. Writing great copy is at the heart of what we do, but we are so much more than copywriters -- we develop campaign strategies, brainstorm creative, develop testing plans, collaborate with designers and are never above a terrible pun. In short, we have a lot of fun while helping our clients change the world.
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we’re looking for
- 3+ years experience in digital fundraising, advocacy, product growth or similar
- Impeccable writing skills
- An equal interest in strategy and creative work
- A passion for progressive causes
- Experience presenting to clients, senior leadership and/or board members
- Experience in multicultural marketing
- Familiarity with email tools such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud, EveryAction, Luminate or similar
- Experience with and interest in team management and mentorship
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model at Blue State
- Experience with paid media or SMS campaigns is a plus!
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $72,000; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to AARP and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters.