Senior Content and Campaigns Strategist
“Mobilize action for the causes that count.”
In this role, you’ll ideate, write and execute impactful and creative digital mobilization campaigns for a range of 3-5 clients. Campaigns range from advocacy to fundraising to customer engagement work, for a variety of clients including major nonprofit organizations and technology companies. Client projects include developing creative and strategies for reaching and communicating with diverse and underrepresented audiences. To that end, prior experience with or interest in multicultural marketing is critical.
You’ll also manage junior team members within the Content & Campaigns team, and serve as a mentor and leader to colleagues across your client teams. This role is an opportunity for someone who seeks greater experience in management and team leadership.
The bulk of our digital practice is concentrated on email, but paid media and SMS are increasing areas of focus.
This role will be remote initially, but when it’s safe to return to the office, will be based in Oakland, CA. Applicants should plan to work West Coast hours in this role.
- Partner with Account team leads to provide creative and strategic leadership on major nonprofit fundraising, tech and advocacy clients.
- Lead development of cross-channel digital campaigns (everything from concepts to calendars to copy) that mobilize audiences to donate, advocate, engage and more:
- Run cross-team brainstorming sessions.
- Present campaign plans to clients in a succinct, persuasive, compelling manner.
- Bring together designers and writers to develop email, paid and SMS campaigns in service of fundraising and advocacy goals.
- Write compelling and on-brand copy for email, paid media, and related channels.
- Review, edit and shape copy and design for junior writers and designers.
- Work closely with analysts, strategists and paid media planners to develop A/B tests and optimize campaigns.
- Collaborate with designers to bring ideas to life through beautiful graphics and copy.
- Collaborate with email producers and analysts to target key audiences and innovate new tactics for converting donors
- Serve as a leader, manager and mentor across the Content & Campaigns team:
- Manage 1-2 junior members of the Content & Campaigns team. Manage weekly check ins, help direct reports develop goals and guide them on their path to growth.
- Advance knowledge and professional development across the Content and Campaigns team by attending conferences and workshops, and contributing to team meetings.
- Other responsibilities:
- Demonstrate a deep and well-rounded knowledge of strategic goals and KPIs for fundraising and advocacy.
- Manage rapid response moments.
- Pitch concepts and present plans to client stakeholders.
- Maintain deep knowledge of the social, political and economic issues that impact your clients as well as continual education within your discipline.
- Stay aware of the latest digital campaign trends, and develop a POV on how/whether our clients should take advantage of them to push their programs forward.
This role will sit within our Content and Campaigns team, a team made up of talented digital fundraisers and advocacy experts. Our resumes boast diverse backgrounds in advertising, political campaigns, journalism, nonprofit marketing and much more. Writing great copy is at the heart of what we do, but we are so much more than copywriters -- we develop campaign strategies, brainstorm creative, develop testing plans, collaborate with designers and are never above a terrible pun. In short, we have a lot of fun while helping our clients change the world.
Top things we’re looking for
- 5+ years experience in digital fundraising, advocacy, product growth or similar
- Impeccable writing skills
- An equal interest in strategy and creative work
- A passion for progressive causes
- Experience presenting to clients, senior leadership and/or board members
- Experience in multicultural marketing
- Familiarity with email tools such as Salesforce Marketing Cloud, EveryAction, Luminate or similar
- Experience with and interest in team management and mentorship
- Empathy, communication, respect, and the ability to act as a role model at Blue State
- Experience with paid media or SMS campaigns is a plus!
The minimum starting salary for this position is $82,000; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to AARP and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters.