Writer, Blue State Campaigns
We’re looking for a writer with a demonstrable record of writing compelling copy to promote supporter engagement, boost donations, and drive activism. In this job, we’ll ask you to help develop the voice and tone of writing for political candidates, develop tactical recommendations for fundraising programs, set campaign milestones, develop program calendars and testing plans, and generate and synthesize audience insights based on results as needed.
We’re a U.S. electoral campaigns focused team at Blue State. We help candidates and committees build campaigns focused on their most important factor: people.
That means creating seamless, silo-free campaigns that empower supporters as leaders and reach people with one core message across all channels.
Our practice provides general consulting, campaign planning, message development, strategic communications, paid media, fundraising, and grassroots organizing.
- Develop and write up concepts and copy for compelling fundraising and mobilization campaigns
- You’ll be writing everything from website content, to email, sms, and social media campaigns.
- Facilitate ideation workshops, prioritize and consolidate insights and ideas, and present back to the team and client.
- Stay in the weeds of ongoing campaigns—working with other copywriters, media planners, and strategists to optimize and evolve.
- Maintain an understanding of political, social, and policy issues that impact relevant clients—and contextualize that subject matter expertise for account teams.
- Post creative on social media, code and produce emails to send to supporters as needed
Top things we're looking for
Even if you don’t think your current skills or past experience don’t fit every part of this description, we want to hear from you if this role aligns with your strengths and interest in political campaign work in an agency setting.
- You have 2-4 years of agency and/or digital campaigning experience—with a focus on public policy, electoral campaigns, or issue advocacy.
- Experience writing grassroots fundraising appeals
- You have experience in developing messaging and content for engagement, persuasion, and mobilization campaigns.
- Strong understanding of digital communication channels—from email to Instagram to SMS to media platforms—and how to leverage them for fundraising and engagement opportunities.
- You have impeccable written and oral communication skills. You have the ability to explain the reasons behind a particular strategic or creative approach and guide clients through difficult decision points.
- Fluency in Spanish (writing) a plus!
- You have a shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- You are steeped in the art of empathy, practice mutual respect, and will act as a role model at Blue State. A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is vital.
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. Across clients including UNHCR, Amnesty International, Google, Tesco, Nesta, and Tate. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.