Technical Director/Data Science Lead
In this role, you’ll help set a vision for tech and data strategy at Blue State. The work you do will be transformational – not only for Blue State but for our mix of leading charities, campaigns, advocacy organizations, and brands. You love to use your problem-solving skills and data science skills to further clients’ missions through use of data, personalization, automation, and AI.
You are a team leader, a campaign practitioner, and a technical expert, with the ability to communicate well with CMOs, CTOs, digital strategists, and analysts. You’ll partner with business and craft leaders at Blue State to shape our offerings, upskill staff, evolve our methods, and put data at the heart of our partnerships. You’ll develop new data science solutions to solve complex client challenges. You’ll oversee key clients, help land dream clients, coach staff, and position Blue State to deliver the best possible outcome.
You’ll report to the Chief Technology Strategist.
- Build analytics models, data science solutions, and data products that allow our Analytics Team to scale their talent and deliver more actionable insights. Move our data practice toward automation.
- Bridge our Analytics, Strategy, and Tech/Product consulting offerings and help position Blue State for growth in this area.
- Mentor staff, coaching them on how to solve analytics challenges and fostering their growth as data scientists.
- Introduce new approaches and models for reporting, forecasting, projections, benchmarking, measurement, optimization, supporter scoring, and attribution.
- Assess a client’s data systems, data collection, and data usage, and make recommendations that align with their business goals and Blue State’s campaign tactics.
- Set a vision for the smart use of data to improve outcomes for our clients.
- Contribute to a portfolio of clients and projects, providing strategic leadership and expertise in driving data strategy across multiple touch points and leading the team to smart solutions.
- Help pursue new business and maintain the health of existing accounts. Assist with regular development and review of pitches and proposals.
- Speak publicly on behalf of the company at events and in publication.
Blue State is the leading digital agency in the progressive non-profit and political world. Blue State has found a successful mix in providing clients with digital strategy, assistance executing against that strategy, and the platforms to necessary to do it. You will be a part of our Technical Director team in NY working with project and client teams across our 5 different offices.
Top things we're looking for
- 8+ years of experience in data science and data strategy with direct experience working with CRM data.
- Experience with a range of marketing technologies, including a mix of CRM systems, messaging platforms, journey management tools, media platforms, and business intelligence tools. Knowledge of emerging categories like CDPs and personalization tools is a plus, as is experience with technology platforms typically used by non-profit organizations.
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud a big plus.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to interact with all levels of end users, and colleagues.
- Strong collaborator and relationship builder.
- Ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems on the fly, and communicate with those around you. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- A shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to AARP and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters.