Senior Strategist, Advocacy & Mobilization
“Help progressive organizations mobilize people to produce meaningful change"
We’re looking for an experienced organizer with a record of success in developing campaign plans that promote supporter engagement, boost donations, and drive activism. In this job, we’ll ask you to generate and synthesize audience insights, develop tactical recommendations for fundraising and grassroots mobilization programs, set campaign milestones, develop program calendars and testing plans, consult on data and technology, and more.
In this role, you might find yourself devising a supporter-first strategy to help an advocacy organization make the case for progressive legislation. You might analyze a budget and develop recommendations to help a campaign organization map out future growth. You might help develop the messaging and tactics for a campaign to help change public attitudes. Throughout, you’ll be a leader on a team of multi-disciplinary colleagues including creative directors, communications strategists, analysts, tech leads, and account directors.
- Drive strategy and campaign planning on assigned accounts
- Produce insights and tactical recommendations that shape clients’ programs
- Explore new ways for our clients to approach advocacy and electoral campaigns
- Translate audience research, survey data, and performance insights into audience and budget prioritizations, supporter journeys, and strategic plans. Primary research skills to conduct qualitative user interviews or design custom supporter surveys desirable.
- Help to lead client and internal brainstorms, planning meetings and presentations, and program development workshops.
- Use tools and frameworks like SWOTs, gap analyses, messaging matrices, audience persona mapping, landscape research, creative briefs, power mapping, and theories of change to guide our strategies, clients, and teams—creating clear and compelling end-to-end deliverables
- Collaborate with copywriters, designers, and other discipline experts to translate strategies and creative concepts into web, social, and mobile experiences and communications programs
- Stay in the weeds of ongoing campaigns—working with copywriters, media planners, and analysts to optimize and evolve
- Play a role in new business and upsells, joining or leading in the expert role
- Maintain deep knowledge of social/political/policy issues that impact relevant clients—and contextualize that subject matter expertise for account teams.
Good strategy is about taking the best possible journey to your ultimate destination and our Strategy Team is focused on plotting that course for our clients. Our team spans across many offices, but works closely with local cross-disciplinary teams to tackle big problems for a variety of clients.
For us, this isn’t just work. Everything we do is connected to something we care about and we’re seeking an individual willing to work tirelessly to create positive change in the world.
The top things we're looking for
- You have 5-7 years of agency and/or digital campaigning experience—with a focus on public policy, electoral campaigns, or issue advocacy.
- You have impeccable written and oral communication skills. You have the ability to explain the reasons behind a particular strategic or creative approach and guide clients through difficult decision points.
- You genuinely enjoy bringing others along in the process of the work. You’ve never once said, “That’s not my job.”
- You have experience in developing messaging, persuasion campaigns, social influence
- You know content management and CRM platforms
- Detailed understanding of digital communication channels—from email to Instagram to SMS to media platforms
- You have a shared passion and curiosity for making change. This includes comfort with ambiguity, a restlessness that resists the status quo, and a commitment to quality that ensures we’re always making progress.
- You are steeped in the art of empathy, practice mutual respect, and will act as a role model at Blue State. A commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is vital
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $92,500; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. Across clients including UNHCR, Amnesty International, Google, Tesco, Nesta, and Tate. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.