"Help our clients and teams achieve greatness"
What to know
The Blue State fellowship is a 6-month intensive training program. Through mentorship and hands-on client experiences, you’ll learn the skills to pursue a career at a creative agency or nonprofit, on a political campaign, or continuing at Blue State as an associate employee.
As a fellow, you’ll develop expertise in a primary and a secondary focus area. This fellowship offers a primary focus in accounts (client services), but you will also be able to pursue a complementary secondary focus.
What to expect
This fellowship is a perfect fit for someone who finds satisfaction in managing projects and people, as you will work closely with others to help teams run efficiently and learn the inner workings of how consulting firms can support cause-driven organizations with a mission to change the world for the better.
In this role, you’ll learn how to assist client teams, made up of account managers, communications strategists, creative leads, web developers, and data analysts, in executing fundraising programs, marketing and advocacy campaigns, online platform development, and strategic planning for a range of nonprofit and brand clients, such as Earthjustice, Google, and GRID Alternatives. You’ll help build and maintain relationships with our clients and help turn progressive ideas into actionable tactics, timelines, budgets, and deliverables.
What you’re looking for
- Purpose. Do meaningful work that matters.
- Growth. Jumpstart your career at a place that rewards curiosity and creative thinking, and offers the possibility of growing into a full-time role.
- Competitive pay. Know your worth and receive fair pay for your labor.
- Mentorship. Work with mentors who are invested in your success, providing continuous feedback, and helping you grow the way you want.
- Diversity. Join a diverse, inclusive community made up of people from all walks of life and grounded in mutual respect, compassion, and learning.
- Versatility. Build up your skills in managing projects and supporting client teams, while learning about a secondary area of focus.
- Teamwork. Integrate with project teams from the start, working closely with and learning from teammates across disciplines — designers, analysts, writers, and many more.
Top things we’re looking for
- You have basic skills in project management and a proactive approach to keeping yourself and others well organized.
- You are adaptable, curious, and always looking for ways to make things more efficient.
- You enjoy helping a team get good work done on time.
- You have a passion for cause-based work and promoting progressive values.
- You have meticulous attention to detail.
- You approach communication with empathy and respect. Teamwork and scrappiness required.
- You manage your time well and are excited to dive into multiple projects at once.
- You want to grow your interest in digital marketing and/or the work of consulting.
- You are communicative and unafraid to advocate for great ideas.
Not sure if you are qualified for this role? We'd love it if you applied anyway!
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities, and people at all the intersections in between — to apply to work with us. Even if you don’t feel like your current skill set checks every box, a commitment to learning and doing work that matters makes a difference, and we want to hear from you.
The Blue State Oakland Team
The Blue State Oakland office is a small, tight-knit crew whose passions range from musical theatre to sports to the latest in hip-hop/country mashups — whatever you’re into, we don’t judge! Oakland is one of Blue State’s smaller offices, which means you’ll get to work on projects both large and small, and be able to stretch your skills and brain in new ways every day. Even though we’re working remotely now, we’re excited to get back together in our downtown Oakland office as soon as it’s safe.
Please submit your resume through our application and also include 2 short statements (approximately 300 words or less) based on the prompts below:
- At Blue State, we’re motivated by a
- Why are you interested in working at Blue State and what do you hope to learn?
- few things in life: progress, empowerment, and people. Tell us your story and what shaped you into who you are and what you value.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organizations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results across clients including UNICEF USA, Amnesty International, Google, Colgate, AARP, Planned Parenthood and many others. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.