As a Data Engineer at Blue State, you’ll play an integral role on a smart and vibrant analytics team servicing a wide range of progressive organizations. You’ll design, build, and manage the systems and processes which form the underpinning of Blue State’s analytics work, supporting and working alongside data analysts and campaign strategists. But you’ll also work directly with Blue State’s clients to help solve their data integrity and integration challenges, serving as a trusted advisor to your counterparts within client organizations.
- Create and support systems and processes for managing, compiling, manipulating, and analyzing data for client and internal projects
- Work with Blue State’s client organizations to solve difficult data migration, management, and integration challenges
- Build data pipelines, data warehouses, reporting dashboards, automated exports, and synchronization processes
- Automate workflows and look for further opportunities to improve efficiency in our work
- Always maintain a high level of data security and privacy
You will be a part of the global Data & Technology team working primarily with our creative agency on client projects. You’ll work in either the NY or DC office.
Once Blue State offices reopen, on-site presence is strongly preferred at a minimum of two days a week. To enter our US offices or attend Blue State events, staff and visitors must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including with a booster shot when eligible. Exceptions for protected grounds will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Top things we’re looking for
- Good foundational understanding of statistical analysis
- Extensive experience working with SQL databases in an analytics or business intelligence context
- Familiarity with common marketing technology platforms like Google Analytics, Google Ads, Facebook Ads, email marketing tools, and other marketing automation tools
- Experience with ETL/ELT tools, processes, and best practices
- Strong Python experience:
- Python should be your go-to tool for solving problems. If the first thing you want to do when you have to do the same thing twice is write a Python script to automate it - we want you!
- Experience with task automation in a Python context - experience with AirFlow, Prefect, Dask a big plus
- Experience working with restful APIs - you can competently navigate unfamiliar API documentation and figure out how to accomplish tasks
- Designing data warehouse schemas for cross-channel marketing analytics
- Utilizing the suite of Google Cloud Platform tools for the purposes of extracting, processing, manipulating and analysing data
- Building and running automated tasks within the GCP environment - e.g. Cloud Compute, Cloud Functions, Cloud Run, Cloud Scheduler
- Comfortable managing GCP IAM policies across projects and teams
At Blue State, diversity is a necessity, not a nice-to-have. We encourage those from underrepresented communities — women, people of color, LGBTQIA+, immigrants, indigenous folks, those with disabilities and people at all the intersections in between — to apply. Even if you don’t think your current skill set checks every box below, but this role seems to align with your strengths, we want to hear from you.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $90,000; compensation is otherwise commensurate with experience.
Blue State is a values-led creative and campaigns agency that partners with leading causes, companies, and campaigns to build better organisations for a better world. We drive real change, make good trouble, put people first and are constantly curious.
We believe that there is no force more powerful than people taking collective action on the things they care about. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we know where to find them: in people. We listen, learn, and uncover new insights that often surprise us and our clients — and move us toward better results. Across clients including UNHCR, Amnesty International, Google, Tesco, Nesta, and Tate. We have offices in New York City, Washington DC, London, Oakland and Chicago.