Business Development Associate
“Help us land our dream clients — and yours.”
We are seeking a Business Development Associate to join our Partnerships team on the East Coast and help our senior business development staff to grow our business. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer and will have some sales or account management experience at an agency, consulting, or communications firm.
This is a rare opportunity to work with a client base that spans across nonprofit, advocacy, corporate, and political sectors. If you want to be a part of driving real change in the progressive space, then this might be the position for you.
You will support our Partnerships team in the pursuit of new business opportunities and help develop and manage a sales pipeline. You will work across the agency and with cross-discipline teams to provide strategic thinking, copywriting, and logistical support for proposals and contracts; relationship management with leading organizations; and collaborate with teams to prepare for pitches and presentations.
Manage the sales process for proposal development, pitches, and outbound efforts:
- Help the Partnerships team sell Blue State’s offerings and services to brands, nonprofits, advocacy organizations, and progressive political candidates
- Draft memos, proposals, pitch decks, and related collateral in collaboration with creative, strategy, and technical teams, delivering first-rate materials that target an audience of C-Suite executives
- Provide logistical support and process management throughout the sales lifecycle — from the proposal and pitch process through contracting
- Effectively communicate and strategize with internal teams to help meet prospective clients’ goals and their organizational objectives
- Collaborate with the marketing team in planning for events, preparing proposals for conference speakerships, developing lead-gen content, and supporting related activities to drive new client acquisition
Help build, manage, and continually develop a sales pipeline to achieve new business targets:
- Work with senior staff to bring in new leads across targeted verticals through traditional and creative approaches to outbound sales
- Conduct research on Blue State leads, prospects, and clients, and clearly communicate findings to senior leadership
- Develop Blue State collateral, and collaborate with the marketing team to generate awareness of Blue State and our offerings
- Qualify and manage inbound leads
- Help manage the sales pipeline through Salesforce
The Partnerships team drives Blue State’s growth. We are the face of Blue State to prospective clients. We build new and deepen existing client relationships. We help prospects see opportunities more clearly, and we help Blue State understand the challenges our prospects face. We find solutions to complex business challenges. And we work with our colleagues to persuasively articulate creative, strategic, and technical solutions to executives and practitioners alike.
Top things we’re looking for
- Minimum of 1-3 years of professional experience, ideally in business development or account management within an agency, consulting, or communications firm, or directly comparable experience working within a corporation or institution
- Entrepreneurial, self-motivated mentality — driven at all times to meet and exceed goals
- Excellent communication, collaboration, problem-solving, and relationship-building skills
- Clear, concise, and engaging business writing skills
- Experience working within the nonprofit, advocacy, or brand sectors, either within a relevant corporation or institution, or as a vendor or service provider
- Comfortable working collaboratively in a team-driven environment alongside colleagues with complementary skills and experience
- Comfortable with a high volume of client interaction, both in-person (when we’re safely able to do so) and through phone, email, and Zoom
- Impeccable ethical standards and professionalism
- Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Blue State is a purpose-driven agency. We partner with leading causes, brands, and campaigns and create real change. From Google and UNICEF to AARP and Planned Parenthood, we transform how brands and causes raise money, influence policy, build platforms, and grow communities of supporters.