Director, Strategic Communications
In this role, you’ll help manage a team of strategists developing impactful communications strategies for a client base that spans leading charities, campaigns, advocacy organizations, and brands. You’ll help translate their mission and objectives into narratives and strategies that reach new audiences and give a platform to their issues and help manage a team to execute. You’ll be a close partner to key clients, help land dream clients, and help Blue State deliver the best possible outcome.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned storyteller, communicator and leader who can build a brand and craft engaging strategy to perform across various mediums and who operates at the intersection of marketing and journalism, communications and politics. This candidate is a strong individual contributor but also ready to expand Blue State’s capabilities by helping to grow a communications team.
- Develop and oversee the execution of cross-disciplinary, integrated campaigns that leverage public affairs, media and digital tactics to reach key audiences and achieve client goals.
- Directly manage and mentor up reports, and provide overall strategic direction and feedback for their development and client work
- Help clients think strategically about their communications, craft exceptional media plans, content experiences, and help develop their voice.
- Work with our extended Strategic Communications team to create insights and approaches that shape clients’ needs; clearly articulate these cross-disciplinary strategies.
- Continue to develop press relationships for media opportunities and oversee/create assets including press releases, collateral, events, and other supporting materials. Develop contacts with key influencers and community leaders.
- Play a supporting role in new business and upsells, as a leading representative of Blue State’s philosophy and experience.
- Represent Blue State at pitches, conferences, and events. Act as expert on issues -- for Blue State itself, with clients, and with media/public.
We are a passionate group of people who are both thinkers and doers. We bring a people-first, data-driven mindset to all of our work. Ultimately, we’re about real impact for real people, partnering with brands, nonprofits, and political organisations to drive progress.
For us, this isn’t just work. Everything we do is connected to something we care about and we’re seeking an individual willing to work tirelessly to create positive change in the world.
Top things we're looking for
- 4+ years communications experience, 1+ year of agency experience
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills -- able to explain the reasons behind a particular strategic or creative approach, and guide clients through difficult decision points
- Demonstrates good judgment
- Highly skilled at writing, pitching, and cultivating media/influencer relationships
- Familiarity with social media platforms
- Strong collaborator and relationship builder
- Willing to fight for good ideas, but always a team player
- Humble in victory, constructive in defeat
- Self-starter, driven, focused, eager, ability to think on feet
- Develops clear plans but operates with a tolerance for ambiguity
Blue State is a purpose-driven creative and tech agency. We transform how brands and causes engage their most important people. From Google to UNICEF, from Obama to MIT, from Tate Modern to Ford Motor Company, Blue State helps grow communities, build platforms, and transform organizations for the digital age. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State is a part of WPP Digital and has more than 150 employees in five offices around the world.